Does Disney regret Aulani?

However, having said that, I was just there last week, and I was surprised at how many NON-DVC pool wristbands I saw - probably about 60-70% of people by my estimation - considering how many villas there are compared to hotel rooms, which I think suggests that there are tons of rentals going on.
Not surprising at all since the DVC points are not "sold out."

The 2024 budget is based upon 330 DVC vacation homes. So they've got at least 151 undeclared DVC units at this point, plus 351 hotel rooms. That means cash guests are staying in over 60% of the 832 villas + hotel rooms.

Not surprising at all since the DVC points are not "sold out."

The 2024 budget is based upon 330 DVC vacation homes. So they've got at least 151 undeclared DVC units at this point, plus 351 hotel rooms. That means cash guests are staying in over 60% of the 832 villas + hotel rooms.
Plus resale peons like me aren’t supposed to get the sparkly bands.

Plus resale peons like me aren’t supposed to get the sparkly bands.
You’re not missing much. I request to get the non-member bands. They are way more comfy and don’t scratch my arm. If I want to use the discounts, I’ll just show my phone.

You’re not missing much. I request to get the non-member bands. They are way more comfy and don’t scratch my arm. If I want to use the discounts, I’ll just show my phone.
But the sparkly ones look so much fancier...

Why not? We are resale members and have no problem buying the bands that are said to be for direct owners only. We just buy them. We have never been declined.
Wait. What?

How do you buy pool wrist bands? You just walk up to the kiosk and show your room key/magic band and pick them up, right? And even if you could pay for an "upgrade" to a sparkly band, why would you? It doesn't really gain you anything.

We were just there last week as a family. It was packed. The one thing I noticed is that there were a ton of DVC guides and sales people at the report. Seemed like 10 folks manning the desk and another 2 at the two model home stations. Probably around 14 to 15 DVC sales folks each day. They were certainly selling Aulani but also VDH, OKW deals, etc. I'd be curious the amount of sales volume they do at the Aulani location. Perhaps Disneyland has that many working in the resorts on any one given day but isn't visible. Just seemed like a lot of staff for the one resort.

And the Aulani reps seemed to be plenty busy all day long with guests inquiring about DVC.
We’re here now. There are a lot of guests here, but the Olello Room was a walk in last night, and Makahiki seemed kind of deserted. Good for availability! In any event, the resort, grounds and beach are all beautiful!

We did get a call about attending the “member celebration” tomorrow night. Warning for those considering the invite: hardly a big surprise, but when we attended it was a barely disguised sales pitch.

We did get a call about attending the “member celebration” tomorrow night. Warning for those considering the invite: hardly a big surprise, but when we attended it was a barely disguised sales pitch.

We’re checking in tomorrow so maybe we’ll see you there if we make it on time.

We have an ocean view room but I suspect we’ll be a bit disappointed with the view no matter how good it is. We’re leaving this view at the Marriott…

IMG_7959.jpeg

Last edited:
I mean, that's a ridiculously broad question. We all have regrets.

I don't think it's fair to declare whether or not Disney regrets the entire Aulani project. In hindsight, maybe they regret the timing, or the location, or the size, or the budget, or the amenities, or 100 other things. But at the time, what they did made sense. And even though the DVC points have sold slower than projected, it has left them with more cash rooms to rent for a profit. Even if some of those rooms sit empty and others are discounted.

DVC apparently doesn't regret it enough to offer the points at fire sale prices.
I believe cash reservations sale out the resort as I can never find great dates

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter